Give sorrow words: the grief that does not speak
Whispers the o'er-fraught heart and bids it break.
(Macbeth)

Monday, April 15, 2013

Time warp

Dear Phillip;

So... now it's been over two years since you left us.  No, that can't be right, not two years.  2 months?  2 weeks?  2 days?  It's hard to tell, because I've lost all sense of the passage of time since you died.

I think I have finally figured it out.  It's like an old Star Trek episode, where the character is in the transporter but in the middle of the transport is split between two different spaces in time.  One version of the person is trapped in a different space time continuum, and the other part moves forward with the other people.  That's how I feel.  When you died - at that cataclysmic moment when the earth was torn in two - my soul was split into two parts.  One part is back in 2011 with you.  The other part is traveling through time with the people around me.   It's very odd.  It's like I am simultaneously in two places in time.   For part of me it was just last week when I was feeding you those shrimp you love.  (Not loved in the past tense - because it isn't in the past.)  Yes, I still tend to speak of you in the present tense.  That's the part of me that is still with you.   I expect this will get even stranger as more time passes in this continuum.  

Maybe it's not so fictitious after all.  People who write about life after death believe there will be no fourth dimension of time as we experience it.  Perhaps that's what I'm experiencing now.  The transcendence of love over space and time.

I know my soul won't be whole again until the two parts of it are reunited with you.






No comments:

Post a Comment