Give sorrow words: the grief that does not speak
Whispers the o'er-fraught heart and bids it break.
(Macbeth)

Sunday, March 18, 2012

St. Patrick's Day

Dear Phillip;

We ate your favorite meal last night. It was St. Patrick's Day, and Judy prepared her signature Corned Beef and Cabbage dinner. I missed you so much. Last year we didn't celebrate the day, so this was the first St. Paddy's dinner since you died. It caught me by surprise. Celebrations reach deep into my heart and bring out a fresh supply of tears. Judy had informed me in no uncertain terms that I absolutely MUST wear green this year (I had been bad in past years :), and having nothing I scoured your closet for something. I found your "All I Know I Learned from Zelda" t-shirt, which was perfect and I wore it. I told everyone it was your t-shirt when they read it. I mentioned you several times last night, and I talked about how much you loved that meal. But no-one except me talked about you. No-one but me mentioned your name. After sharing that meal for about 20 years it was as if you had never been there; that you had never existed. I cried all the way home. I try so hard to keep your memory alive; I don't know what more I can do except wear a pin that says "Please talk to me about Phillip."

For the rest of my life I will always think of you when I make Corned Beef. And for as long as it still fits me I'll wear your Zelda shirt as my Green.

No comments:

Post a Comment